Pay-Go Pricing FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
This FAQ has been prepared to assist our customers understand Wasabi’s pricing model and related policies. If you have questions about our pricing policies that are not addressed here or have questions about our billing and payment policies, please refer to this section of the Wasabi Knowledge Base.
- If your monthly downloads (egress) are less than or equal to your active storage volume, then your storage use case is a good fit for Wasabi’s free egress policy.
- If your monthly downloads (egress) are greater than your active storage volume, then your storage use case is not a good fit for Wasabi’s free egress policy.
If your storage use case exceeds the guidelines of our free egress policy on a regular basis, we reserve the right to limit or suspend your service.
Timed Active Storage: This item is associated with the amount of active storage that is stored with Wasabi for the billing cycle. A customer invoice will show a unit price of $.00019499 per GB per day (which is based on Wasabi’s standard price of $5.99 TB per month divided by 30 days per month divided by 1024 GB per TB). By default, Wasabi bills on a 30-day cycle (regardless of the length of the month or when the billing cycle starts).
Timed Deleted Storage: This item is associated with the amount of deleted storage that has not yet reached the minimum storage retention period with Wasabi for the billing cycle (see FAQ#5 for more details). The unit price for Timed Deleted Storage is the same as the unit price for Timed Active Storage.
Minimum Active Storage (if applicable): In the event the Timed Active Storage charge is less than $5.99, a charge for the difference between Wasabi’s $5.99 monthly minimum and the monthly Timed Active Storage is applied. For example, if you have 512 GB stored for a month (50% of Wasabi’s monthly minimum), you will incur a Timed Active Storage charge of approximately $3.00 and a Minimum Active Storage charge of $2.99 (the balance of $5.99 minus $3.00 for Timed Active Storage). Timed Deleted Storage does not count in the calculation of whether Wasabi’s minimum 1 TB per month requirement is met.
Data Transfer (Out):This item is associated with the amount of data (storage data and the data consumed by API requests) that leaves (egresses) the Wasabi Service. With Wasabi’s free egress policy, we do not charge for data transfer (out) but the volume of egress is shown on the customer’s invoice.
- 90 days (default) for customers using Wasabi’s pay-as-you-go pricing model
- 30 days for customers using Wasabi’s RCS pricing model
- An object is stored in Wasabi on day 1
- On day 16, this object is deleted from Wasabi
- 15 days of Timed Active Storage
- 75 days of Timed Deleted Storage
As shown in this example, if you delete the 100 TB of storage in less than 23 days, Wasabi will be more expensive than AWS S3. However, if you store the 100 TB of data for more than 23 days, Wasabi will be less expensive than AWS S3. After the first year, AWS S3 is ~4x more expensive than Wasabi (and that is before you include the extra charges that AWS applies for egress and API requests).
In summary, if you have data that you only need to keep for short periods of time before deletion, then it may be more cost effective for you to keep this data in AWS. However, as shown in this example, if you keep the data for more than 23 days, Wasabi is the more cost effective solution.
This policy is due to the processing overhead that each file that is less than 4 KB requires in Wasabi storage. This minimum file size charging policy only applies to files that are less than 4 KB in size. This policy is comparable to minimum capacity charge per object policies in use by some AWS storage classes (for example, AWS S3 IA has a minimum capacity charge of 128 KB).
- GB / mo price: ($5.99) / (1024 GB per TB) = $.00585 GB/mo
- GB / day price: ($5.99) / (1024 GB per TB) / (30 days per month) = $.00019499 GB/day
- AWS S3: $.023/GB/mo for storage & $.09/GB for egress
- Google Cloud Storage: $.026/GB/mo for storage & $.08/GB for egress
- Microsoft Azure Blob Storage: $.0184/GB/mo for storage & $.01/GB for egress
What if you could store ALL of your data in the cloud affordably?
NOW YOU CAN. Wasabi is here to guide you through your migration to the enterprise cloud and to work with you to determine which cloud storage strategy is right for your organization.