Gartner: Top Five Approaches to Hybrid Cloud Storage
An Analysis of Use Cases, Benefits and LimitationsDownload the Full PDF
- “TCO reduction remains the primary goal for hybrid cloud storage implementations. However, this has been difficult to achieve due to several hidden costs.”
- “Most enterprise usage of on-premises and public cloud storage resources are in isolation of each other because useful ways of tying the two together have not existed until recently.”
- “The limited network bandwidth between enterprise data centers and cloud IaaS providers inhibits the use of hybrid cloud storage for large datasets.”
- “Bidirectional synchronization of data between on-premises and public cloud storage with seamless locking and event notification remains a future capability for many vendors.”
I&O leaders focused on accelerating infrastructure innovation and agility should:
- Define their business needs and use cases in order to choose the optimal deployment option for hybrid cloud storage.
- Reduce lock-in by selecting solutions that allow data to be accessible in the public cloud in a nonproprietary format, and that mitigates exit costs through contractual service-level agreements (SLAs).
- Prioritize solutions that support deployments across multiple IaaS public clouds and two-way data synchronization.
- Build a cost model to identify hidden costs, overall total cost of ownership (TCO) and ROI for hybrid cloud storage.
- Run a thorough three- to six- month proof of concept (POC) to validate the capabilities, performance, latency and costs of hybrid cloud storage solutions, as well as a back-out plan if the hybrid solution is no longer available.
As per the Gartner report, “I&O leaders seeking to leverage the elasticity benefits of cloud infrastructure as a service (IaaS) are beginning to evaluate the evolved, modern hybrid cloud storage capabilities that enable transformation of data using public cloud compute infrastructure. Most storage vendors present I&O leaders with their capabilities to integrate with public cloud storage. In this research, we provide clarification and direction on how I&O leaders can leverage five different approaches to hybrid cloud storage. Below we compare the impact of different hybrid cloud storage approaches in the enterprise data center (see Figure 1). Gartner observed that agility-oriented solutions are still maturing due to the nascent nature of hybrid cloud workflow, use cases and lack of visibility among I&O leaders.”
Get the full Research Report today as an easy-to-reference PDF
Top Five Approaches to Hybrid Cloud Storage — An Analysis of Use Cases, Benefits and Limitations, Julia Palmer, Arun Chandrasekaran, Raj Bala, Refreshed 9 July 2019
GARTNER is a registered trademark and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally, and is used herein with permission. All rights reserved.